[linux-elitists] out of orifice autoreplies

Wendell Cochran atrypa@eskimo.com
Tue Jan 7 07:42:46 PST 2003

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:29:32 -0800
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:46:44AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Eric Murray wrote:
>>> that solves the problem for me, but then punishing email-ignorant
>>> people doesn't give me much of a thrill.
>
>Exactly why you shouldn't waste your time.  They probably have no
>clue what they did or why you are mad at them.

>> Email-ignorant people who need to use out of orifice autoreplies for their
>> business can be expected to understand the basics of courtesy.

>I'm guessing you meant "can not".   I sometimes deal with people
>who are new to the internet and email.  They are nice people who are
>knowledgable in their field, but they know nothing about email etiquette.
. . .

Another angle:  I lurk in a list for librarians, where most
subscribers are women whose knowledge of computing generally stops at
basic e-mail & Google.  When someone screws up (usually by enabling
HTML or MIME), I may ask off-list if the innocent knows how her
messages are being displayed.  And I offer to help.

A woman almost always replies with something like `Uh-oh!  How can I
turn it off?'

A man is most unlikely to answer, & if he does reply I can bet on
irritation.  Or rabies.

Must be a lesson in there, somewhere.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle

Ob-mention:  My offer of help always includes a diffident remark that
I'm no expert in WinDOSe, as I run only Linux.  That may be the first
brick out of the OS sidewalk.