[linux-elitists] McDonalds

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Mon Jan 6 20:35:51 PST 2003

[note subject line changed]

On Monday, January 06, 2003 3:55 PM Ben Woodard wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 07:07, Michael Bacarella wrote:
> > Honestly, there are times when travelling that I thank $DEITY_OR_UNDEF
> > when we find a McDonalds.  Not because I particularly care
> > for their food, but because I know exactly what to expect
> > from it when I'm in some small town in the middle of nowhere
> > and the alternatives are "JIM'S! THE CADILLAC OF DINERS!"
> > and the bar/strip club with sawdust on the floors.
>
> Do you realize what you are saying here? You prefer "sameness" and a
> lack of surprises to honest to goodness real experience.

Yes Ben, that's what he's saying.  He isn't saying that he prefers sameness
all the time, but at least some of the time.  Sometimes people are looking
for a dull, repetitive experience.  In fact, I would argue that many CIOs
live for sameness and a lack of surprises.  As Dan Kusnetzky often likes to
say, the main goal of corporate IT is to not get yelled at.

Larry