[linux-elitists] out of orifice autoreplies

Eric Murray ericm@lne.com
Mon Jan 6 16:29:32 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:46:44AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Eric Murray wrote:
>
> > that solves the problem for me, but then punishing email-ignorant
> > people doesn't give me much of a thrill.
>
> I've written personal messages to them. Informative ones. Always the same
> offenders. Never write back, with a few notable exceptions. (Some CAS guy
> forgot to include that list into his filters). I tell them to contact
> their sysadmin. They never do either.

Exactly why you shouldn't waste your time.  They probably have no
clue what they did or why you are mad at them.

> Email-ignorant people who need to use out of orifice autoreplies for their
> business can be expected to understand the basics of courtesy.

I'm guessing you meant "can not".   I sometimes deal with people
who are new to the internet and email.  They are nice people who are
knowledgable in their field, but they know nothing about email etiquette.
Being inflexible and dogmatic with them just makes me come across as an
inflexible, dogmatic asshole.  Auto-filing their mistakes into /dev/null
doesn't, and it takes less of my time.

> Similiarly,
> as I can expect that people participating in traffic on the highway know
> how to drive a car.

Flawed analogy-- I can't make ignorant drivers disappear
like I can stupid email or auto-replies.  It'd be great if
I could!  There'd be a lot fewer cars on the local freeways.

Eric