[linux-elitists] Re: Outlook corrupts (Larry M. Augustin)

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 15:55:00 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 07:07, Michael Bacarella wrote:
> Honestly, there are times when travelling that I thank $DEITY_OR_UNDEF
> when we find a McDonalds.  Not because I particularly care
> for their food, but because I know exactly what to expect
> from it when I'm in some small town in the middle of nowhere
> and the alternatives are "JIM'S! THE CADILLAC OF DINERS!"
> and the bar/strip club with sawdust on the floors.

Do you realize what you are saying here? You prefer "sameness" and a
lack of surprises to honest to goodness real experience. Sure going into
any unfamiliar place is to one extent or another a crap shoot. It may be
good or it may be bad but you will never know unless you experience it.
It is the difference between a dull repetitive life and a rich varied
existance. There are so many levels on which you can experience things
why settle for something so banal?

The food may be asounding.
The decore may be beautiful.
The other patrons may provide endless entertainment with their
conversations or their clothes or mannerisms.

Something allows this resteraunt to survive and function -- what is it?
What draws in enough people that the resteraunt makes enough money to
survive. It is sort of a game to figure out what that is.

You get none of this when you go into McDonalds.

-ben