[linux-elitists] out of orifice autoreplies

Eric Murray ericm@lne.com
Mon Jan 6 10:55:26 PST 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:27:10PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Does anyone have a procmail recipe to automatically send back an autoreply
> to an out of office autoreply? I want to teach a few academic idiots a
> lesson. They use out of orifice autoreplies on a 1.2 k strong mailing
> list.

They're clueless enough to use Outhouse's out of office reply yet clued
enough to understand your bouncebacks and do something about them?
That's quite a remarkable set of lusers.  They'll probably just delete
your mail, or bitch to their sysadmin.  Poor guy (girl) will then
have spend time to figure out what you did and why.

If you do it anyhow don't bounce it back unless you are 100% sure it
won't go to the list.  I'm sure you know that some lists are improperly
configured so Reply-to: goes to the list.

I use:
:0
* (^Subject: Out of office autoreply$|From: The Post Office$)
/dev/null

that solves the problem for me, but then punishing email-ignorant
people doesn't give me much of a thrill.

Eric