[linux-elitists] Re: Outlook corrupts (Larry M. Augustin)

Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Mon Jan 6 07:07:08 PST 2003

> > > Until you start growing a third ear on your left ass cheek from the
> > > hormones they feed their cattle with. Then you will say "Uhm, if I only
> >
> > And exactly how many cases of that are there, again?
>
> Few, but that's not the real problem.  The real problem is that eating
> enough McDonald's makes you overweight and sluggish;  It substitutes
> nutrition with salt and hot fat, making you less and less aware of the
> fact that you're not, in fact, doing something that's good for you or the
> world you live in until you do it not because you choose to, but because
> it's the only thing you're familiar with.

Honestly, there are times when travelling that I thank $DEITY_OR_UNDEF
when we find a McDonalds.  Not because I particularly care
for their food, but because I know exactly what to expect
from it when I'm in some small town in the middle of nowhere
and the alternatives are "JIM'S! THE CADILLAC OF DINERS!"
and the bar/strip club with sawdust on the floors.

In that sense Microsoft is great. But no one chooses
them if they have the option.

> Eating McDonald's and using Windows are, in fact, remarkably similar in
> their effect on both the consumer and society.
>
> Hey, who cares though.  It's good enough, it's pretty cheap, it gets the
> job more or less done, right?

Microsoft is in the computing industry in much the same way
that billboard-writers are in the literature industry.

            -- Signature seen on Slashdot

--
Michael Bacarella  | Netgraft Corp
                   | 545 Eighth Ave #401
 Systems Analysis  | New York, NY 10018
Technical Support  | 212 946-1038 | 646 641-8662
 Managed Services  | http://netgraft.com/