[linux-elitists] IM servers for Linux

Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Sun Jan 5 21:48:42 PST 2003

What's so wrong with IRC?

The whole IM paradigm never made any sense to me. It
just seems like an inferior IRC implementation.

There are thousands of IRC clients. Configure an IRC server,
install mIRC on the Windows boxes, have them join the same
company channel by default. If they want to address the
entire group, they type in the main window. Otherwise they
click on one of the usernames.

IRC clients do have a psychological effect in that they
take up a lot of screen real estate versus an instant messenger,
but that's not really a protocol issue as much as it's a
UI issue.

You've got group chat, one to one chat, file transfer abilities.
Company information stays in house, you have SSL support for
travellers, you have complete control, irc is easily understood,
you've got thousands of clients to choose from, and it's
easy to send notices to the entire group.

I think even Trillian can use IRC as a backend.

-M

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 09:16:37PM -0800, David L. Sifry wrote:
> I'm a big fan of Jabber, and I've created a number of infrastructures
> that use it.  The upsides:

[...]