[linux-elitists] IM servers for Linux

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Sun Jan 5 09:38:37 PST 2003

> From Karsten M. Self on Sunday, January 05, 2003 1:10 AM
[...]
> > As GUI AIM-like Jabber clients go, Gabber is a better choice if you
> > want only Gabber, since it doesn't require you to do thinks like load
> > plugins for Jabber support.

I need Windows clients, and a Linux server.  One step at a time...
One annoying thing is that Exodus doesn't bundle the SSL DLLs; they have to
be downloaded separately.

> IRC works well for me though.

If the question were about IRC clients/servers, I'd have more personal
experience to draw on.  IRC and IM are very different things.

I haven't seen any comments on choice of server.  Anyone have any experience
w/ jabberd2?  Also, has anyone spent time using both AIM on Windows and a
Jabber client on Windows, and can you list for me differences?

I'd rather not have to spend some time using AIM on Windows to get a basis
for comparison.

Larry