[linux-elitists] IM servers for Linux

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Sun Jan 5 07:39:28 PST 2003

> They currently use AIM for instant messaging.  They know this is not
> secure, and want to move to something with reasonable security.  I would
> like to set them up with a Linux system running an IM server.

What about Jabber and Psi (psi.sf.net)  I have a few patches
(www.mixdown.ca/~andrew/psi) which I think make it even better, but the
client works on linux, win32 and mac.  I personally disliked every other
linux jabber client out there, as I wanted something very similar to the old
ICQ99b client (small, fast, lean, NO POPUPS, no ads, etc.)

Hell I've got patches for psi to lock it down too (I work for an ISP part time
and they use xterms for all the signup/tech support people so that they can't
break anything).  The lock down removes a lot of the things psi can normally
do (manage accounts, change a lot of options, etc.) to better fool-proof it
from mistakes, intentional or not.

Regards,
Andrew