[linux-elitists] IM servers for Linux

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 5 01:10:07 PST 2003

on Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 12:21:58AM -0800, Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net) wrote:
> commence  Larry M. Augustin quotation:
>
> > I have never setup and run an IM server.  Based on a quick survey of the
> > net, I'm thinking jabberd2, w/ gaim or exodus on the clients.  Thoughts?
>
> As GUI AIM-like Jabber clients go, Gabber is a better choice if you
> want only Gabber, since it doesn't require you to do thinks like load
> plugins for Jabber support.

I'm finding Gabber to have an annoying interface, notably a lack of tabs
(little windows for each discussion or individual conversation), and
some annoying defaults (connection to conference.jabber.com rather than
my preferred conference server).  It's also relativley unstable,
particularly if the network session is interrupted.  I haven't tried
Gaim though, its registration process (AOL required?) is annoying as
well.

IRC works well for me though.

Peace.

   Spread the real scoop on Xenu and The Church of Scientology, link