[linux-elitists] Outlook corrupts

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sun Jan 5 00:28:03 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 05:28:39PM -0800, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> We could have a long discussion about Outlook.  Like most software
> it's got good points and bad points.  I'm sure we could all spend a
> lot of time listing its bad points.
> Could we all spend equal time listing it's virtues?

We can, it does have a lot.
We can also list virtues of smoking pot, or sniffing coke, but quite
frankly, I'm interested in neither.
My point is that its virtues will always be irrelevant to me because I
cannot get past its bad points.

> Have you tried it lately?  You can do some very nice things very
> easily with Outlook connected to MS Exchange.  I'd encourage you to

Oh, I am much more aware of this than you may think. Outlook is a very
dangerous virus for IT departements, it's shinny and slick, people think
they want it.

> >Larry, aren't you better off with gnus that you know so well, or mutt,
> >or something that doesn't auto-run any harmful code that you can throw
> >at it?
>
> Actually, it was VM mode in Xemacs that I used heavily for a while,

You are correct, my bad.

> and before that RMAIL, and before that (and still quite frequently
> today) mail.  Ah, /bin/mail.  Still my favorite.  I never did the
> elm/pine/mutt thing.  I know mutt is popular among a lot of the people
> here.  Maybe I should spend some time with it?

Obviously, it's not outlook, not does it try to be, but mutt does mail
real well

> But to answer your question, it depends on what I'm trying to do.  If
> the goal is to use MS Exchange's collaborative functions to share
> schedules, contacts, todo lists, and MS Office documents with other
> users in a small Office, then Outlook is probably the best tool.  The

And (unless I missed something), it pretty much pushes for exchange,
which pushes for Active directory, which pushes for MS doing your
company DNS, which then pushes for them doing your DHCP too, and pretty
much taking over your company.
See my point?

The completely unacceptable security history aside, outlook is still a
dangerous virus for any company.

> >begin  did you ever fix this outlook?
> >Hi Larry :-)
>
> I just checked the latest Outlook release, and yes, it still thinks
> that's the start of a uuencoded block.

hopefully it doesn't autorun an executable if I craft one, anymore...

> >Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
> >                                      .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
>
> Hmmm...  Is that meant to be a slam against MS?  Let's see:
>
> 	+ I can get McDonalds anywhere; they're ubiquitous.
> 	+ It's cheap.
> 	+ It's quick.

Yes, yes, and yes

> 	+ The food's good enough.

No. I guess it fulfills my definition of "subsitance", but not "food"

> If I just want to get some food quickly and cheaply, and get on with
> other things, then McDonald's makes sense.  A gourmet meal is overkill.

I eat semi-gourmet food for all my meals at Google. It sure doesn't feel
like overkill to me.

> I'm not sure that's the analogy you want to make.

I thought it was supposed to be obvious :-)

Marc