[linux-elitists] IM servers for Linux

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Sat Jan 4 22:29:53 PST 2003

I think that I have an opportunity to sneak a Linux server into an otherwise
all-Windows shop.

They currently use AIM for instant messaging.  They know this is not secure,
and want to move to something with reasonable security.  I would like to set
them up with a Linux system running an IM server.

Requirements, roughly in order of importance:

	1. Security.  Some instant messages may contain confidential
information.
	2. AIM-like UI.  They like AIM.  They are not technical.  They don't
want to spend a lot of time learning something new.
	3. Low admin overhead.  They have one part-time sysadmin who only
knows Windows.  The Windows client needs to be easy and trouble free for
them to install.  The server has to just always work.  Basically, once I set
it up it needs to be able to run assuming virtually no sysadmin support.

I have never setup and run an IM server.  Based on a quick survey of the
net, I'm thinking jabberd2, w/ gaim or exodus on the clients.  Thoughts?

Larry