Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Sat Jan 4 17:40:49 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 12:15, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Nick Moffitt">

> > 	Does it have GRAPHS yet?

> The 1.x versions of Gnumeric have had graphing stuff (via Guppi) for some
> time. Unfortunately, Guppi is no longer being maintained, so Jody is looking
> for other solutions for the next version of Gnumeric (the port to the GNOME
> 2.x platform, which is very stable, but he's not going to christen it stable
> until it has the features he desires - particularly, graphing).

Crap, Guppi isn't being maintained anymore? It's the only graphing
program I've seen that actually actively tried to create *useful* and
*readable* graphs, instead of pseudo-3D barcharts with gradient fills
and all that other stuff that makes Tufte froth at the mouth.

> > I recall a list conversation where LMA pulled out "pivot tables" as some
> > obscure feature that gnumeric lacked.  He was trying to shoot down a
> > "gnumeric is good enough" rant, but the REAL winner was that gnumeric
> > lacked PRINTING and GRAPHS and STUFF ANY MORON NEEDS IN A SPREADSHEET.

> Had graphs for ages, had printing for ages, and the current (surprisingly
> stable) unstable versions are getting pivot table support.

So after this discussion of "pivot tables", I tried to Google around to
figure out what they were, and as far as I can tell, they're some sort
of way to group/summarize data according to different criteria,
automatically, sort of like SQLs GROUP BY? Or am I totally wrong here?

--
Joakim Ziegler <joakim@avmaria.com>
A/V Maria