[linux-elitists] Outlook corrupts

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Sat Jan 4 21:08:09 PST 2003

On Friday 03 January 2003 17:28, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> Hmmm...  Is that meant to be a slam against MS?  Let's see:
>
> 	+ I can get McDonalds anywhere; they're ubiquitous.
> 	+ It's cheap.
> 	+ The food's good enough.
> 	+ It's quick.

As I was pondering on McD's after I replied to Rich, I realized that your
comments are only partially true. The once reputation that McD's had for
quality food and knowing what to get has since been lost by the massive
hiring of hispanic labor that can't speak english very well, and can't
construct a hamburger properly twice in a row.

It's a shame that you can go to McD's in Japan and get a Big Mac that looks
like a Big Mac is supposed to look like.

Maybe Marc's comparison of McD's to Gourmet food is not too offbase. I rarely
see eye to eye with Marc, but McD's food does suck from what is used to be,
it's gone downhill terribly. Most parents only go there because their kids
like the toys they sell, and many parents we know don't like to take their
kids there because the quality of the food is so bad and is unhealthy.

If you want to do an interesting comparison, go into a McD's and look at
their clientele, then go into In-n-Out and look at theirs. Let me know if you
see a difference in the people that shop at these fast food resturaunts.

To use the same analogy, many of the ms-dos users are just like McD's
customers, happy because they feel they got a free toy with their happy meal.

And actually, Linux is much more like In-n-Out, you have limited selection
but you know it's quality for fast food. They only have about 10 items on the
menu, but all of them are known to be quality.

Rich certainly brought up an interesting analogy, I'd rather eat at In-n-Out
any day of the week, and I realize now it's because to me it's similar to
Linux.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.