[linux-elitists] Outlook corrupts

Rich Bodo rsb@ostel.com
Sat Jan 4 17:12:44 PST 2003

> get enough of it right.  There's a lesson there: It's better to be
> first to market with something that's crappy, but good enough, than to
> be late to market with something that really works.  It's sad, but
> they've executed on that very well.

I beg to differ.  I contend that all other things being equal, it is
always better to come to market late with a better product.  Best to
market beats first to market.  Google search blew doors on yahoo
search, who was first to market and had huge market share.  As long as
they can keep the quality high, it looks like they will smoke yahoo in
other areas as well.

My favorite example though, partly because I am hungry, and partly
because of all the McD's references, is IN-N-OUT burger.  The guy
who started that joint undoubtedly saw the McD's sign that said, WE SOLD 50
BAZILLION BURGERS AND 0WN 99.999% OF THE MARKET, SO DON'T B0THER.  Did
he change his business plan?  No, he made a better burger.  Down the
street from me an IN-N-OUT opened up not 20 yards from a McD's and the
line is literally a out the parking lot most of the time.  McD's is
virtually idle.  The quality shops are growing like weeds.

-Rich