[linux-elitists] Outlook corrupts

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Jan 4 10:42:36 PST 2003

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Sean Neakums wrote:
>
> > No, but that prime Brazilian beef sure does!
>
> They sell little portions of lean grassland beef with woked veggies @ McD?
>
> Dude, I lost 9 kg since I came back from SoCal, and have still 2-3 kg to
> go. It was partly the crazy lifestyle, but partly also the huge (2-3 times
> oversized) portions at Cowboy Burger's and a local chinese place, plus
> lots of Coke.

http://www.psu.edu/ur/2002/portionsize.html

Portion Size Matters: Given Too Much, We Eat It

December 3, 2002

University Park, Pa. --- Almost nobody can stop eating at just one normal
serving if there?s extra food on their plate, Penn State researchers have
shown, and this tendency coupled with the spread of megaportions may be
contributing to the American obesity epidemic.

In the first systematic, controlled study of the response to portion size
in adults, the researchers found that the bigger the portion, the more the
participants ate. On average, they ate 30 percent more from a five-cup
portion of macaroni and cheese than from one half its size ? without
reporting feeling any fuller after eating.

Dr. Barbara Rolls, who holds the Guthrie Chair of Nutrition in Penn
State?s College of Health and Human Development, led the study. She says,
?Men and women, normal-weight and overweight individuals, restrained and
unrestrained eaters, all responded to larger portion size by eating more.?

The response to larger portions was not influenced by who determined the
amount of food on the plate, the study participant or the researchers.

The study is detailed in a paper, ?Portion Size of Food Affects Energy
Intake in Normal-weight and Overweight Men and Women,? in the current
(December) issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Rolls?s
co-authors are Erin L. Morris, Penn State master?s degree recipient in
nutrition, and Liane S. Roe, research nutritionist.

In the study, 51 normal-weight and overweight men and women, 21 to 30
years of age, had lunch one day a week for four weeks in Penn State?s
Laboratory for the Study of Human Ingestive Behavior. The lunch included
water, carrot sticks and a snack-size chocolate bar as well as macaroni
and cheese made in the ?light? version from a well-known commercial mix.

Each week, the participants were served the macaroni and cheese in one of
four portions ranging from two and a half to five cups. The participants
were required to eat all of the carrots and chocolate bar but could eat as
little or as much of the macaroni and cheese as they wanted.

One group received the different amounts of macaroni and cheese
pre-portioned on a dinner plate from which they ate. Another group
received the different portions in a serving dish and could scoop as much
of the entrée as they liked onto their plates. In both cases, the
participants ate more when more food was available but didn?t report
feeling any fuller after eating.

Rolls says, ?Our research shows that pretty much everyone is susceptible
to the influence of portion size. However, it?s not increased portion size
alone that is contributing to the American obesity epidemic but rather
eating large portions of high-calorie, high-fat foods.

?Large portions of foods low in calories and fat such as vegetables,
fruits and broth-based soups can aid weight management by providing
satisfying portions with few calories,? she adds.

Her strategy is described in detail in her best-selling book, "The
Volumetricss Weight-Control Plan," to be published soon in a new low-cost
paperback edition by Avon.

**bah**