[linux-elitists] Outlook corrupts

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Fri Jan 3 17:28:39 PST 2003

>From Marc MERLIN
>I was very saddened the day I saw Larry switch to outlook at VA, and I'm
>surprized that he still uses it.

We could have a long discussion about Outlook.  Like most software
it's got good points and bad points.  I'm sure we could all spend a
lot of time listing its bad points.

Could we all spend equal time listing it's virtues?

Have you tried it lately?  You can do some very nice things very
easily with Outlook connected to MS Exchange.  I'd encourage you to
spend some time working with a group of other people who are
Outlook/Exchange experts to really understand what it can and can't
do.

One thing about Microsoft; although their software is totally crap
when they first release it, they just keep plugging away until they
get enough of it right.  There's a lesson there: It's better to be
first to market with something that's crappy, but good enough, than to
be late to market with something that really works.  It's sad, but
they've executed on that very well.

I am hoping to set up an Exchange server to learn more about MS
Exchange and test against Ximian Connector for MS Exchange.  I need to
know more there before I'm comfortable recommending that as an
alternative.  I've even got a system already set aside for it.  I just
haven't had time to install WinXP and Exchange on it.

[Digression - It really galls me that MS sets the standard, and Open
Source is following on thinks like Outlook/Evolution and .NET/Mono.
Tim O'Reilly makes an excellent point about Open Source needing to
show leadership to win.]

Does anyone else here have any experience with setting up Exchange?
Ximian Connector?  It's been about 1.5 years since I tried Evolution.
How's the version in Woody?

>Larry, aren't you better off with gnus that you know so well, or mutt,
>or something that doesn't auto-run any harmful code that you can throw
>at it?

Actually, it was VM mode in Xemacs that I used heavily for a while,
and before that RMAIL, and before that (and still quite frequently
today) mail.  Ah, /bin/mail.  Still my favorite.  I never did the
elm/pine/mutt thing.  I know mutt is popular among a lot of the people
here.  Maybe I should spend some time with it?

But to answer your question, it depends on what I'm trying to do.  If
the goal is to use MS Exchange's collaborative functions to share
schedules, contacts, todo lists, and MS Office documents with other
users in a small Office, then Outlook is probably the best tool.  The
ability to fit in and work with other users in a common environment
exceeds the risks.  If the goal is to interact rapidly with people on
Linux Internet mailing lists, Outlook is overkill at best, and
probably (definitely?) the wrong tool.

>begin  did you ever fix this outlook?
>Hi Larry :-)

I just checked the latest Outlook release, and yes, it still thinks
that's the start of a uuencoded block.

>Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
>                                      .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking

Hmmm...  Is that meant to be a slam against MS?  Let's see:

	+ I can get McDonalds anywhere; they're ubiquitous.
	+ It's cheap.
	+ The food's good enough.
	+ It's quick.

If I just want to get some food quickly and cheaply, and get on with
other things, then McDonald's makes sense.  A gourmet meal is overkill.

If on the other hand, I really enjoy good food, and want a meal to
savor, then I don't want to go to McDonald's.

I'm not sure that's the analogy you want to make.

Larry