Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Thu Jan 2 22:00:48 PST 2003

begin  Larry M. Augustin  quotation:
> > A: No.
> > Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
>
> Personally, I prefer the reply to come *before* quotes if the quoted
> text is long, and *after* the quote if it's in response some
> specific part of the posting.  I hate scrolling through a bunch of
> stuff I've seen before to find what the person said.

	The obvious solution is never to quote long stuff unless the
audience has never seen it before.  We're all *on* this list, and
don't need full copies of messages we already went through.  However,
a forward is a perfectly reasonable use of top-posting; since the
intended recipients have most likely not seen the text before at all,
and may find your introduction helpful.

	But anyone who quotes an entire message in a thread (or worse,
an entire message with *its* included quotations) is yet another data
point on the need for an Internet Head-Smacking Protocol.

--
A: No.