Rob Walker rob@myinternetplace.net
Thu Jan 2 20:07:39 PST 2003

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 06:59, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> To steel a Bob Young analogy...
>
> Most people who own a car just care that it gets them point A to B reliably.
> They don't care how much horsepower it has.  Most don't know anything about
> how it works.  They'll probably buy something similar to what their friends
> buy, simply because choice of car is not that important to them, and they'd
> rather fit and go with the crowd if it's not important.  They don't want to
> know how the car works.  They want to spend their time thinking about things
> that they care about, and cars are not one of them.
>
> Does that make them idiots?  No.  It means they have different priorities
> than we do.

I emphasize this difference in priorities when talking with potential
clients.  I tell them something along the lines of the following:

"If you think about technology, you are in the wrong business.  I want
you to think about spraying weeds and winning contracts, or building
bungee jumping platforms for state fairs, or how to make the best welds
and steel products for your customers."

I see myself as a grease vendor.  I want to make the most effective
grease for my customers, so that their businesses can slip and slide
down their respective tracks as quickly as they can propel them.

rob