Rob Walker rob@myinternetplace.net
Thu Jan 2 19:39:23 PST 2003

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 21:25, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> On Sunday 29 December 2002 20:30, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> > Agreed.  My sister-in-law has been using Quickbooks on Mac for years to run
> > her restaurant and is very happy with it.
>
> As a consultant that has used Quickbooks for quite a while, that's been one
> way to do it that you don't have to touch ms-dos. However, gnucash has
> refined the interface quite a bit, and added a gtk+ UI on it, I've been
> looking at it as a possible solution...but haven't gotten far enough myself
> to be able to produce good invoices.

I am impressed with how much gnucash is moving toward the small business
space.

http://www.sql-ledger.com has links on the left side of the page to
three demo sites.  I just now used the second demo, Kansas City, to look
at AR Aging (AR, reports, AR aging, "A Banking Company" in the list box,
continue, invoice 0572, select postscript and screen on the bottom of
the page, and click print).  This gave me a great looking .ps file I was
able to print out and send to my fictional customer.  The application
uses LaTeX to print.  I saw someone use the templates to move the users'
mailing information in on the page about one inch to fit better in
windowed envelopes.

With SQL-ledger, port forwarding, SSL, one can get to their accounting
system from a customers' site, and email or print out an invoice before
leaving the site, in the case of on-site consulting.

rob