[linux-elitists] Ybbx zn, V'z cebgrpgrq! (was: What's some marketing buzzwords for what we do?)

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller@columbus.rr.com
Thu Jan 2 16:04:09 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:36:47PM -0800, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
>From: linux-elitists-admin@zgp.org On Behalf Of Don Marti
>> http://news.com.com/2010-1028-978636.html
>> "Our story starts with the Transportation Security Administration
>> (TSA) Web site, which has an area called "Security and Law
>> Enforcement" featuring four password-protected Microsoft Word
>> documents. ..."
>> I go to that page, and those documents open right up in AbiWord or
>> gnumeric, no password prompt in either application.   Do you get
>> a password prompt?
>I have not tried Abiword in a long time, but I will apt-get it and try
>it out.  It wouldn't surprise me if the password protection stuff was
>crap.  Most of that stuff is.

Yes, it is.  In fact, there are some shady companies which will do
password 'recovery' for you, for a fee.  I bet *that* doesn't surprise
you, either.
	Last I heard, MS Word's 'protection' consisted of cycling XOR,
each octet of the file XORd with an octet of (maybe a
trivially-encrypted version of) the password in turn.  I'm told a
password can easily be 'recovered' by looking for blocks of data that
would be all 0x00 in an unencrypted MS Word file.

(Incidentally: Please put replies after quotes.  Thank you.  Also,
please don't quote entire messages.  Or if you absitively posolutely
MUST quote the entire message, don't quote .sigs and mailing list tags.
Yes, it is worth the time taken.  No, it is not a waste of effort.
Thank you.)
--
Matthew W. Miller
mwmiller@columbus.rr.com