Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 2 15:08:59 PST 2003

on Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 05:44:46PM -0500, Andrew (akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com) wrote:
> > 1.  Out of curiosity, what software do you use for your
> > knowledgebase?  Do you recommend it?  I have some hundreds of
> > articles / tidbits I'm looking to organise.
>
> It's my own concoction.  It's done in PHP and isn't near where I want
> it.  No searching yet and the auto-scoring still needs to be written.
> I haven't worked on it in years but it's sufficient to toss things in
> and not lose them.  The version in my head is far better for info
> storage but I haven't the time to work on it.  :-)

Have you given any thought to a Wiki?  I'm using TWiki and find it is an
admirable 80-90% solution.   It's modular enough that it should be
possible to add a given feature that you want, and the development
momentum is sufficient that it's quite useful as is.

> I eventually want to rewrite it in perl (I can't justify keeping up on
> both PHP and Perl) and add the single biggest feature I wanted in it:
> article superscession.  i.e. once something is entered, it doesn't
> come out.  If you made a mistake, you can edit it but if you were flat
> out wrong, you write a new article and tell the kb that the new
> article supersceeds the old one.

Hmm...  TWiki doesn't have this, though the version control in it is
helpful.  Superscession would be a useful feature.

<...>

> That, and I want to make an XWT (www.xwt.org) frontend for it.  I was
> never a fan of web forms.

This is a weakness noted here of TWiki.  And for which an XWT frontent
might be quite useful.

Peace.