Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Thu Jan 2 14:44:46 PST 2003

> 1.  Out of curiosity, what software do you use for your knowledgebase?
> Do you recommend it?  I have some hundreds of articles / tidbits I'm
> looking to organise.

It's my own concoction.  It's done in PHP and isn't near where I want it.  No
searching yet and the auto-scoring still needs to be written.   I haven't
worked on it in years but it's sufficient to toss things in and not lose
them.  The version in my head is far better for info storage but I haven't
the time to work on it.  :-)

I eventually want to rewrite it in perl (I can't justify keeping up on both
PHP and Perl) and add the single biggest feature I wanted in it: article
superscession.  i.e. once something is entered, it doesn't come out.  If you
made a mistake, you can edit it but if you were flat out wrong, you write a
new article and tell the kb that the new article supersceeds the old one.
When you search, you get the new one, even if the search matched the old one,
and as it grows you not only get a list of knowledge, but the method in which
you got to the knowlege, including pitfalls.

I have the spec written out in an IRC log somewhere, I just need time to dig
it up.  :-)

That, and I want to make an XWT (www.xwt.org) frontend for it.  I was never a
fan of web forms.

> 2.  Just to be specific:  Sun would have to pay patent royalties to
> Apple Computer for several patents covering a particular algorithm used
> in byte-hinting for _some_ older TrueType typefaces at small point
> sizes.  This includes some popular typefaces, including ones Microsoft
> Corporation makes freely available.  Newer TrueType typefaces eschew
> that technique and use different but equally effective hinting.

I knew it was a patent issue, but I did not know that new TT fonts used a
different system.  That is interesting to note.  I wonder if it is possible
to convert from the old system to the new system (easily) -- it might make a
nice utility program to eliminate the patented bytecode interpreter issues
once and for all.  Of course, you'll probably hit "you can't modify this
font" issues then.  :-)

> OpenOffice.org binaries are typically shipped statically linked against
> a copy of the FreeType library libvcl that has been set to exclude
> byte-hinting.  Thus, I'd be really surprised if your LD_PRELOAD trick
> worked, with such binaries.  Instead, I believe you'd have to recompile
> OO.o to fix the situation.

I have not tried it with OO -- the SO6 binaries work great though.  I do see
your point, though.  Checkinstall does not work with Slackware's static 'ln'
command for this exact same reason.

> (I'll note in passing that doing that without paying patent royalties or
> having an already sufficient licence is illegal in the USA.)

I was under the impression that the patent was royalty-free for noncommercial
use.  In effect, Sun could not avoid paying the royalty but I as an
individual could, so long as I wasn't using it in a commercial environment.
I will go over Freetype's web page later.

Regards,
Andrew