Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 2 14:30:15 PST 2003

Quoting Andrew (akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com):

> Word of warning: on linux, they (SO/OO) ships with a freetype lib that does
> not support the bytecode hinting.  I did some heavy googling and found a way
> to get the fonts looking MUCH better.  I documented it on my kb:
> http://www.mixdown.org/kb/?func=view&id=173

1.  Out of curiosity, what software do you use for your knowledgebase?
Do you recommend it?  I have some hundreds of articles / tidbits I'm
looking to organise.

2.  Just to be specific:  Sun would have to pay patent royalties to
Apple Computer for several patents covering a particular algorithm used
in byte-hinting for _some_ older TrueType typefaces at small point
sizes.  This includes some popular typefaces, including ones Microsoft
Corporation makes freely available.  Newer TrueType typefaces eschew
that technique and use different but equally effective hinting.

OpenOffice.org binaries are typically shipped statically linked against
a copy of the FreeType library libvcl that has been set to exclude
byte-hinting.  Thus, I'd be really surprised if your LD_PRELOAD trick
worked, with such binaries.  Instead, I believe you'd have to recompile
OO.o to fix the situation.

(I'll note in passing that doing that without paying patent royalties or
having an already sufficient licence is illegal in the USA.)

--
Cheers,              "Not using Microsoft products is like being a non-smoker
Rick Moen           40 or 50 years ago:  You can choose not to smoke, yourself,