Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Thu Jan 2 13:29:06 PST 2003

> But I'm wary of the "new release is a completely different beast" argument.
> It sounds an awful lot like something MS might say.  (As in Windows 95/98
> sucked, but WinXP is a completely different beast.)

Yes, it does sound kind of hokey...  I _loathed_ SO5.2.  It was slow, huge,
took over your desktop and tried to do everything.  SO6 is still huge, but it
has come a LOOOOONG way.  I can actually use it.

Word of warning: on linux, they (SO/OO) ships with a freetype lib that does
not support the bytecode hinting.  I did some heavy googling and found a way
to get the fonts looking MUCH better.  I documented it on my kb:
http://www.mixdown.org/kb/?func=view&id=173

Regards,
Andrew