Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 2 12:43:26 PST 2003

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net):

> Does it have GRAPHS yet?  I recall a list conversation where LMA
> pulled out "pivot tables" as some obscure feature that gnumeric
> lacked.

"Pivot tables" are impossible to find outside Microsoft Corporation
products because it's Microsoft-specific _terminology_.  (They might
even have it trademarked; I haven't checked.)  So, you have to know to
look under other terms, or you'll never find that functionality
elsewhere, at all:  In the old Borland Reflex database/spreadsheet
thing, it was called the "crosstab view".

I'd have to dig deeply into Gnumeric, to see if it'll do crosstabs
(pivot tables), and just don't often use spreadsheets that much.
On your other question:

rick@guido:~$ cat /usr/share/doc/gnumeric/README.Debian
gnumeric for Debian: FAQs
-------------------------

[...]

Q: The graph guru does not work. Is gnumeric broken?
A: Probably not. Gnumeric relies on an external component for graphing to work.
   If you want to use graphing in gnumeric, make sure you have installed a
   package that provides the "guppi-gnumeric" package (do
   "apt-cache showpkg guppi-gnumeric" to find one).

That's Gnumeric 1.0.11, which also purports to do printing.  (I don't
have my old HPIII turned on at the moment, so please pardon my not
checking.)

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.