Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Jan 2 12:23:20 PST 2003

begin Larry M. Augustin quotation of Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 11:11:14AM -0800:

> But I still think it's crappy software...  And I really hate advocating for
> crappy software.

Abiword, on the other hand, is good software, but lacks many of the
features of Microsoft Word and (Star|Open)Office.  Microsoft Word
documents not pop up so quickly and so legibly that I have to remind
myself to complain about them.  I personally like gnumeric but am
not enough of a spreadsheet user to compare it feature-for-feature
to other spreadsheets.

As long as you have Microsoft Office running...check out this
article by Declan McCullagh.

http://news.com.com/2010-1028-978636.html
"Our story starts with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
Web site, which has an area called "Security and Law Enforcement"
featuring four password-protected Microsoft Word documents. No password
is necessary to download those encrypted documents, but a password is
required to open and read them."

I go to that page, and those documents open right up in AbiWord or
gnumeric, no password prompt in either application.   Do you get
a password prompt?

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the