GUI/CLI mail client (was Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we do?)

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Wed Jan 1 10:27:55 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 11:53:32AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> The annoying thing is that Courier-IMAP insists on sticking a dot in
> front of folder names in ~/Maildir -- why?

We already answered this question. '.' is the folder separator used in
the IMAP protocol for Courier, cyrus, ms exchange, and just about any
other imap server outside of uwimap

> I switched to Maildir last year and the only disadvantage I've
> noticed is that it requires much longer to open really big Maildir
> directories in Mutt than to open really big mboxes.  Is that the
> only problem with Maildir?

It's a problem with mutt.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 07:58:49PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
> It would be less of a problem if Mutt cached message headers, maybe.

There is a patch for mutt 1.5 that does this, but mutt still has a bug
where it takes 9 times longer to resync an open maildir folder than to
resync it

I've already told ME, but somehow he seems to dismiss this as not
important and not even really a bug or even problem in the first place.
Please contribute to bug 1402 (1402@bugs.guug.de, works just like the
debian bug system), and explain that it sucks for you too.

Marc