Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 1 14:18:13 PST 2003

on Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 11:11:14AM -0800, Larry M. Augustin (lma@lmaugustin.com) wrote:
> >From Don Marti
> > Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 10:05 AM
> > To: linux-elitists@zgp.org
> > Subject: Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we
> > do?
> >
> >  beginLarry M. Augustin quotation of Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 08:52:16PM -
> > 0800:
> >
> > > The problem that I have with promoting StarOffice (I've only tried
> > > StarOffice, not OpenOffice, but I'd expect them to be similar) is that
> > it's
> > > a piece of crap.  It's awful software.
> >
> > Wait a minute, Larry...on Sunday you said
> >
> > "Agreed: StarOffice is good enough for a lot of people."
>
> I wrote that too quickly.
>
> Here's what I was thinking:  I know people who use StarOffice today and find
> it good enough.  Therefore by some measure it is good enough for some set of
> people.
>
> But when people tout StarOffice as a general replacement for MS Office, I
> start to get a bit frustrated.  I can't in good conscience recommend
> StarOffice to most people.  It's just too buggy.  I've lost too much data
> using it.  I even tried the Windows version once just to see if it was just
> the Linux version.  It wasn't.

I'd also have to ask what version of SO this was.  5.2 was iffy.  I tend
toward OOo 1.x myself.  While I don't use it _much_ (I dislike largely
*all* office suite software), I *have* used it for compatibility
purposes, and don't recall any crashes or data loss.

I *do* feel that SO/OO have some significant issues, most notably and
utter lack of useability on even only slightly outdated HW (not to
mention boxen which might be found in large portions of the world which
are otherwise well suited for GNU/Linux).  The monolithic design, size
of the development environment, and complexity of the beast violate a
number of strong norms within the free software community.  These are
norms which foster development and participation in advancing software.
It's not for nothing that I refer to it as "StarOffice, that bloated
stuck pig of an office suite".

That said:  if you're used to MSFT shite, SO/OO is a step up.

Peace.