GUI/CLI mail client (was Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we do?)

Peter Clay pete@flatline.org.uk
Wed Jan 1 09:55:39 PST 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Rick Moen wrote:

> I leave a screen session running under my UID all the time.  It in turn
> keeps mutt instances open.  When I connect via ssh to that machine, the
> first thing I do is "screen -r" to reattach the screen process to my
> local terminal.  That gives me immediate access to the various processes
> I left running last time I ssh'd in, all still running the way I left
> them.

I have a bash function which may be useful to people who want to do this:

pine () {
        if ps x | grep [p]ine; then
                echo "You already have a pine running - reattaching"
                screen -d -r pine
                return 1;
        fi
        screen -S pine pine
}

so I just login and type 'pine', regardless of whether I detached or quit
pine the last time.

Pete
PS substitute free-mailer-of-choice for pine..
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |