GUI/CLI mail client (was Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we do?)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 1 01:14:29 PST 2003

Quoting Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org):

>> The biggest disadvantage is lack of support for detached operation.
>
> So if I get bumped offline then the session _will_ die, even with nohup?

No, that's not what I meant.  In fact, the opposite is the case.
If/when your ssh session suddenly goes kaput, the screen process keeps
your other processes running without any interruption.  When you ssh
back in and do "screen -r", you're exactly back where you were.

In a minority of such cases, screen won't yet have noticed that you're
gone:

[rick@uncle-enzo]
~ $ screen -r
There is a screen on:
        8672.pts-0.uncle-enzo   (Attached)
There is no screen to be resumed.
[rick@uncle-enzo]

In that case, you detach it manually (screen -d), then reattach (screen -r).

What I mean by "lack of support for detached operation" is that it gives
you no access to your files (e.g., mail) except during ssh sessions.
There's no local copy that remains at your disposal while un-networked.