GUI/CLI mail client (was Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we do?)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 1 00:59:39 PST 2003

Quoting Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org):

> Does screen allow to reconnect to a running instance of a mutt in a ssh
> session? I.e., can I use it as a text version of a vnc session?

If I understand the question, yes, that's what I do all the time.

I leave a screen session running under my UID all the time.  It in turn
keeps mutt instances open.  When I connect via ssh to that machine, the
first thing I do is "screen -r" to reattach the screen process to my
local terminal.  That gives me immediate access to the various processes
I left running last time I ssh'd in, all still running the way I left
them.

When I'm done and intend to close my ssh connection, I do "screen -d" to
detach, then shut the ssh tunnel.

The biggest disadvantage is lack of support for detached operation.

--
Cheers,           "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate
Rick Moen         those who do.  And, for the people who like country music,