[linux-elitists] RedHat drops the other shoe

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 27 11:05:51 PST 2003

Quoting Steve Beattie (steve@wirex.net):

>> Fortunately I have apt-rpm on there and don't use up2date to keep my
>> system updated, but I wonder what affect all of the Red Hat systems that
>> will suddenly no longer be getting security updates are going to have on
>> the 'net?
>
> apt-rpm is definitely the way to go, though it requires a fairly clean
> set of dependencies (an rpm --nodeps install can leave you in a state
> where apt-rpm refuses to upgrade anything). But like gregkh said, people
> have had to figure out ways to handle updates before.  Of course, it's
> always fun to predict the death of the internet, film at 11.

Well said.  It does seem a head-scratcher that the Red Hat user
community haven't yet set up one or more apt repository for
quick-response security updates.  Maybe they will now.

For now, it looks like the one at http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/ is the
best available.

A different way to go would be to subscribe to KRUD's monthly update
service, http://www.tummy.com/krud/ .

--
Cheers,              "The front line of defense against such sophisticated
Rick Moen            viruses is a continually evolving computer operating