[linux-elitists] RedHat drops the other shoe

Steve Beattie steve@wirex.net
Thu Feb 27 10:45:48 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:22:16AM -0500, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> RH just sent me an email stating that I have 7 days to fill out a survey
> to extend my "demo" account another 60 days.  The implication in the
> email is that after that 60 days, there are no freebies any longer.

Looks like they're requiring people who want to use
the service for free to take a survey every 60 days:
<https://rhn.redhat.com/preview/index.pxt>.

> Fortunately I have apt-rpm on there and don't use up2date to keep my
> system updated, but I wonder what affect all of the Red Hat systems that
> will suddenly no longer be getting security updates are going to have on
> the 'net?

apt-rpm is definitely the way to go, though it requires a fairly clean
set of dependencies (an rpm --nodeps install can leave you in a state
where apt-rpm refuses to upgrade anything). But like gregkh said, people
have had to figure out ways to handle updates before.  Of course, it's
always fun to predict the death of the internet, film at 11.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve@wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at