[linux-elitists] Re: H1-B
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Thu Feb 20 01:29:07 PST 2003
OK, I've stayed quiet on this thread long enough.
1) The H1-B system is being abused, even now. That is wrong. Companies are
lying on their applications and getting away with it with no sanctions.
2) No one has a right to make a living in their chosen field. The reality
is that many of us who have worked with Linux in the past may not have
another chance at it. Savor the memory of sanity.
3) Regardless of how I feel about immigration, the reality is that a great
burden is placed on social services (especially hospitals) from illegal
immigration, in part because some people (especially pregnant women)
forego routine medical care then need expensive emergency medical care. In
part because then their children become citizens. I grew up in Orange
County, where this problem was especially endemic.
4) Many other countries require proof of self-sufficiency before entry. We
5) Marc, I'm sorry you got shafted, but I'm glad you were able to get your
6) Me, I still have stock in Linuxcare.
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
and up and up, but with lots of little dips downwards...."
-- Wen Spencer on plotting a novel
More information about the linux-elitists