[linux-elitists] Re: H1-B

Rob Walker rob@myinternetplace.net
Tue Feb 18 22:19:18 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 09:31, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 04:54:02PM -0800, billy@damaged-world.net said:
> >
> > 	My only comment on the H1B problem is:
> >
> > 	Open the fucking boarders. If Americans can't compete they don't
> > 	deserve the jobs anyway.
>
> That'd be nice, except we give free everything to anyone who asks.
>
> Open up the borders, and we'll have a population of 500 million people,
> half of them on welfare.  For about a week, anyway; then 499 million
> of 'em will be on welfare, and the other million will be packing up
> to move to Belize.
>
> Open up the borders to anybody with the following conditions all true:
>
> 2.  A job already offered OR a certain amount of savings in the bank,
> sufficient to mean they won't be on welfare in the next couple of years.

I spent November, 2001 in Australia.  The family we were living with
told us that .au used to have to patrol Christmas Island, because people
were landing there and getting put on the dole in .au.

Then they decided that Christmas Island was still a part of .au, but not
for dole purposes.  Then they decided that landing on the shores of .au
weren't enough, that you had to be there for a certain amount of time (2
years?) before qualifying for the dole.

rob