[linux-elitists] Rev 0.1: For the non-elite: a Knoppix for the masses FAQ

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 16 18:58:59 PST 2003

on Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:09:01AM +0000, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> In the spirit of bringing GNU/Linux awareness to the masses, I've burned
> a spool of 50 CDs with the v3.1 1-2003-20-EN Knoppix release.  I'm
> handing these out to the man/woman on the street.  Total cost, about $25
> for media and sleeves.  Hand-labling the disks has been the slow
> part....  Those 40x burners are nice.
>
> I've handed out about a half-dozen of these to date, though without
> additional information (I've usually spent a few minutes describing the
> disk instead).
>
> What I'd like to include is a short FAQ covering likly questions, to be
> inserted into the disk sleeve (budget conscious, jewelcases are too
> steep), form factor is a 4-7/8" x 9-3/4" (12.40cm x 24.75cm for the
> metric crowd), folded sleave.  Front should feature some sort of Knoppix
> art, inside would have a FAQ, back cover possibly contact information
> for the person or organization distributing the material.
>
> I'd *really* appreciate some layout-foo in putting this together.  I'm
> also looking for feedback on the FAQ itself.  Note that it's aimed at
> the rank newbie (likely), and needs to fit readably in the form factor
> described above.  There's *plenty* of information on the disk itself and
> elsewhere, so a pointer to this is sufficient.  And the current version
> is likely too long, so I'm looking at candidates for removal and
> condensation rather than expanding it at all.

Updated FAQ follows, thanks for the feedback, y'all.

I could still use help formatting this for printing.  I'm currently
leaning towar LaTeX -- it's available on most 'Nix desktops.

Peace.

Knoppix Bootable Live Linux Desktop Demo

 1. Q: What is this?
    A: This is a bootable Linux demo CD that does not modify the existing
    operating system on your hard drive. Now you can try Linux without changing
    anything on your computer, or configuring anything. It Just Works?.

 2. Q: How do I use it?
    A: Put the CD in your system's CDROM drive and reboot. Knoppix will start
    and configure itself to your hardware in a minute or two, starting a
    desktop and web browser with information about the Knoppix. This
    disk provides over 1200 software packages totalling nearly 2GB.

 3. Q: What are the requirements to run this?
    A: Intel or compatible 486 CPU or better, 96 MB RAM, and a bootable CD-ROM
    drive.

 4. Q: Will this work on my Macintosh?
    A: No.

 5. Q: What can I do with it?
    A: Your imagination is the limit: learn Linux, rescue sick computers,
    perform system and network diagnostics, provide an emergency or portable
    desktop, install Linux, make copies and give them to friends. Or if you're
    short of AOL disks, it makes a handy coaster.

 6. Q: Will it change anything on my computer?
    A: No. Not unless you ask it to. Knoppix itself won't write to or change
    your hard drive. The tools to do this are available, so you can write to
    your hard drive and even do significant damage to your system if you chose,
    though this would require deliberate actions -- you're very unlikely to do
    this by accident.

 7. Q: Can I copy this disk?
    A: Yes! Please do! Knoppix can be freely copied and distributed.

 8. Q: Where can I get more information about Knoppix or Linux?
    A: There are browseable documents on the CD, which will be open when
    Knoppix starts up, or can be read from most MS Windows or Macintosh
    computers. You can find more information at http://www.knoppix.net/ Live
    IRC support may be found at at irc:irc.freenode.net/#knoppix. Groups of
    Linux Users Everywhere (GLUE) lists many local Linux user groups: http://
    www.ssc.com/glue/

 9. Q: How can I verify the disk contents?
    A: This CD image was downloaded from http://www.knoppix.net/get.php Images
    and verification checksums are recorded at that site.

10. Q: I can't boot the CD. Now what?
    A: Most likely the problem is your system isn't configured to boot from CD.
    You will need to configure this in your system's BIOS. Some older CDROM
    drives can't read CDRW media; you should be able to verify this by trying
    to read the disk from your standard OS. For further information, see your
    system documentation or the support references listed above. Some laptop
    video may not be supported, most desktop PCs work very well.

11. Q: What does it cost? What do I have to buy?
    A: Nothing. Really.

12. Q: Is there a warranty or guarantee?
    A: No:  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
    IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
    INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

13. Q: Who are you? Why are you doing this?
    A: Just another Linux fan. See contact information on the back of this
    insert. I've been using Linux for a while, and think Knoppix a good tool
    for giving risk-free Linux demonstrations to people.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html