[linux-elitists] Fwd: [declan@well.com: FC: DOJ quietly drafts USA Patriot II, includes anti-crypto section]

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Sun Feb 9 05:33:27 PST 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 01:01:31AM +0000, Karsten M. Self said:

> And the three strikes laws have all been rapidly repealed for
> imprisioning tens of thousands of check kiters and other nonviolent, but
> felony, offenders.
>
> Not.

No, they haven't.  Are you confusing "not ENTIRELY bad for our side"
with "perfect and exactly what we would have wanted?"

In any event, bad example; most states with three-strikes laws require
the third strike to be a violent felony.  California is an aberration
likely to get struck down this year, and one of the arguments being
used (maybe not in the two cases coming to the Supreme Court, but
certainly in the court of public opinion) is exactly what I said;
it discourages conviction on non-violent felonies.

I don't have a problem with three-strikes for violent felons; if you
continue to prey on society, you need to stop being a part of society.
If three juries, three judges, and three appeals processes all find
you're a danger to society, I'm pretty satisfied you've had lots of due
process AND opportunity to begin acting like a human being.  It's
California that needs to be stopped, not the concept.

--
Shawn McMahon         | Every time you walk out of the house
FedEx Services        | with clothes on, you give up freedom