[linux-elitists] Fwd: [declan@well.com: FC: DOJ quietly drafts USA Patriot II, includes anti-crypto section]

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Sat Feb 8 17:31:38 PST 2003

    KMS> [...]  The truth behind the H-1B IT indentured
    KMS> servant scam:

Hmm.  I was one of those H-1B's 1997-2002 and voluntarily went back to
where I originally came from.  So forgive me if I actually paid
attention to your .sig.  It is true that the transition from H-1b to
employment-based permanent residency can entail indentured servitude.
It also true that an H-1b who actually leaves, leaves behind the
accumulated social security and cannot use the unemployment he's paid
for.  It appears that this bargain is an OK one for the H1-b holders
-- I viewed it cynically as regular government regulation overhead
without attaching a nationality to it.  It certainly can be much more
expensive and a bigger hassle to deal with the government that's
ostensibly my own.  It is a tribute to the US that the last remark
holds for many places including most in the 'west.'

An H-1b holder who actually leaves the US _can_ keep on working in his
home country doing the same stuff and competing with all-American
workers just the same.  I am unsure, in a connected world, if you can
be protectionist to the extent that computer talent you use stays
local.

    KMS> http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html

This is an OK link for advocacy as it at least has accurate
but somewhat dated information.

    KMS> http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/

This one is indeed shameful.  It actually tries to play on the fear
Sept 11 caused along with resentment unemployed people have for
foreigners working in the US.

I have felt zero resentment from the many Americans I have
worked/studied with and ran into during my 15 years in the US.  This
includes being a from a predominantly Muslim (albeit friendly) country
post 9-11.  And that is one of the reasons why the US is a good place
to live.  I hope you guys never lose that -- it is an asset that's
worth far more than a few months' wages.

cheers,

BM