[linux-elitists] Linux server start-up gets funding

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Fri Feb 7 16:35:04 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 07:46:17AM -0800, Tom Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 10:50, Roland Krause wrote:
> > http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/5107216.htm
> > So let me guess.
> > Three Ex-SUN engineers.
> > Linux, 64 bit, not Intel, low cost hardware...
> > ...that leaves AMD.
> More likely MIPS.  Still the cheapest chip around for $/compute.  You
> are not stuck with just one chip vendor.  And fully 64 bit.  I can't
> imagine they would hedge their company on the success of *hammer --
> especially since AMD just announced yet another delay.  But I guess it
> is all just speculation until they announce for real.

	Some of those MIPS chips are GORGEOUS. Burning like what? 2
	watts at full bore (admittedly only 500mhz, but still). Of
	course, those are the 32 bit cores.

--
[rock] "is sung, played, and written for the most part by cretinous goons. By
means of its almost imbecilic reiteration it manages to be the martial music