[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Fri Feb 7 16:31:52 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:23:20AM -0500, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:10:12PM -0800, billy@damaged-world.net said:
> > 	People want computers to be applinances. You turn them on, they
> > 	work.
> The computers most people use should be appliances; with all the
> programmability of a typical refrigerator.
> If you can't put more programs on the hard drive, a whole host of
> post-exploit shenanigans are eliminated.  If the programs and OS
> themselves are limited-purpose, as opposed to general-purpose, a whole
> host of potential exploits are eliminated.

	But people want them to be appliances that are constantly
	current.

	(Yes, I realize that this is contradictory. What's your point?)

	(The truth is that with OS 8/9 and the iMac Apple got it right.
	My daughter has one of these machines in Back Woods Lousiana. It
	hasn't been serviced since 1998).

> Unfortunately, appliances don't market well to non-technical folks, in
> small part because of word of mouth from us.  "Don't buy that stupid
> email appliance, you'll be stuck with that crappy email service and
> limited to what they let you do, get a real computer and I'll come over

	I've got a "computing appliance". It's Kyocera Smartphone.

	The problem is that the same kind of  nitwits that designed and
	wrote Word and Mozilla are the nitwits that are designing and
	coding for the various appliances.

	Meaning you wind up with buggy programs with crap interfaces and
	you *cannot* fix them.

> We ought to be fighting to get these things done right, marketed right,
> and given away for pennies if necessary to prevent grandma from buying a

	If they were done right and marketed right, even a WinTel box
	would work.

> Wintel box and contributing to the chaos.  Maybe that new paper
> circuitry they're using for disposable cellphones is part of the answer.

	Until the kids want to play a game.

--
I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels,
God and Angels