[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Fri Feb 7 16:24:56 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 03:52:49AM -0500, Modus Operandi wrote:
> billy@damaged-world.net looked into the void, and said:
> > There is no way to fight TCPA or DRM other than to *repeatedly*
> > crack it to break it, and to demonstrate over and over that it
> > doesn't solve the problems that it claims to solve (i.e.
> > protecting the end user against viruses and the like) while
> > doing things it claims not to (things like document revocation
> > lists and selective access to data).
>   Well, now I'm starting to get *really* depressed about the
>   future of computing. Obviously DRM is a rotten idea, and TCPA

	Good. Depressed people think harder about problems. Now let's
	just hope you're more insightful than I am, and can think of a
	better solution than putting .308 holes in certain well
	deserving assholes.

>   is just the thin end of the wedge. Is there no future for
>   general-purpose computers that can, y'know, do stuff?

	Sure.

	But they will not be able to interact with large bodies of
	copyrighted media.

>   I don't violate copyrights much myself, but hypothetically if
>   I bought a CD, I'd want the freedom to drag 'n' drop it into
>   my iTunes playlist (if I had a Mac.) Does TCPA threaten this?

	Not directly, but it does mean that the person who packages the
	CD decides whether you can play it via iTunes and whether you
	can download it to your OggVorbis player.

--
[rock] "is sung, played, and written for the most part by cretinous goons. By
means of its almost imbecilic reiteration it manages to be the martial music