[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Feb 7 15:03:47 PST 2003

begin Shawn McMahon quotation of Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:58:50PM -0500:

> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:53:47PM -0800, Don Marti said:
> >
> > "Actually, even if you could change our minds, you'd have us on
> > the phone with tech support for a couple hours each to put our
> > computers back the way they were.  And you can't afford that."
>
> "Sure we can.  The support is now a 900 number.  Have a nice day."

If the customer pays for the support, the DRM-mongers are in the
same position as the seller of a product that has a tax put on it --
the demand curve is shifted against them because the price of the
DRM-infected product now includes the price of support.

The main point is that the "DRM boycott" (there has got to be
a better name for this) is free to cooperators, and potentially
expensive for defectors.  That's why it can carry more weight than
a simple petition.

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the