[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Feb 6 18:12:13 PST 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Don Marti wrote:

> begin Jay Sulzberger quotation of Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 07:54:27PM -0500:
>
> > I think your "tweaks" proposal depends upon the explicit assumptions you
> > make, and also a few others, and I believe that the whole class of attacks
> > fails, for several reasons.  I hope to have a short piece out soon which
> > explains what Palladium does.
>
> I'm not considering Palladium here, just TCPA.
>
> > It is possible I have not grasped the plan of attack of your proposed
> > anti-DRM tactic.
>
> The idea is to spread sufficient kernel diversity that it's
> impractical for anyone to perpetrate any DRM scheme that depends
> on knowing the exact content of someone else's computer's kernel.
>
> --
> Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly

Ah, thanks, Don!

I will have to learn more about what non-Palladium style DRM the TCPA TPM
enables, and consider the correlation of forces here.

But it is already clear to me that, if we overthrow the Great Refund Wall
of Denial, that the "tweak the kernels" tactic will be made more effective.

http://www.windowsrefund.net

oo--JS.