[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Thu Feb 6 14:41:20 PST 2003

Don Marti writes:

> The installer for a peer-to-peer application would be a better
> place than a virus.  You could have the user read some anti-DRM
> information while the program installs.
>
> It would be helpful for someone with more knowledge than me of the
> TCPA spec to look at the random kernel tweaking idea and see if it
> would actually be effective against using TCPA for DRM.

We need a lot more information in order to decide what "effective" means
here.  The story is very, very complicated.

For one thing, there's a difference between

* recruiting people to actively join what is effectively a DRM boycott,
* asking people "Are you willing to join a DRM boycott? [Yn] ",

and

* effectively tricking people into joining a DRM boycott in a way that
  they won't notice.

Is any of these close conceptually to what you were thinking of, or were
you thinking of something else entirely?

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk