[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Feb 6 08:25:53 PST 2003

begin Nathaniel Smith quotation of Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:53:45PM -0800:

> Obviously, the next Windows virus to make the rounds should be
> designed to alter the OS's kernel in a random non-destructive way, and
> install security patches.
>
> Not that I actually advocate such a thing.  But we all know there'll
> be a next virus; it'd be amusing if the next one did the socially
> conscious thing.  Denials of service are so passe.
>
> (Of course, back in the real world, the public relations backlash of
> having TCPA protest associated with a virus would probably suck.  Alas.)

The installer for a peer-to-peer application would be a better
place than a virus.  You could have the user read some anti-DRM
information while the program installs.

It would be helpful for someone with more knowledge than me of the
TCPA spec to look at the random kernel tweaking idea and see if it
would actually be effective against using TCPA for DRM.

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the