[linux-elitists] Availability of "The Quality Electronic Records Practices" standard specficiations and guidelines for your review, input, and feedback... (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Feb 6 02:13:12 PST 2003

ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2'' http://eugen.leitl.org
83E5CA02: EDE4 7193 0833 A96B 07A7  1A88 AA58 0E89 83E5 CA02

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:48:15 -0500
From: "Rich Lysakowski, Ph.D." <rich@CENSA.ORG>
To: MOL-DIVERSITY@listserv.arizona.edu
Subject: Availability of "The Quality Electronic Records Practices"
    standard specficiations and guidelines for your review, input,
     and feedback...

For Immediate Release:

       CALL FOR INPUT AND FEEDBACK ON THE STANDARDS FOR

              "THE QUALITY ELECTRONIC RECORDS PRACTICES"

        Standards Jointly Funded by Government and Industry Partnership

From: The Global Electronic Records Association, Woburn, Massachusetts,

February 5, 2003.

The Global Electronic Records Association is pleased to release for
feedback.
The Quality Electronic Records Practices· that focus on designing,
validating,
legal defense, and auditing of electronic evidence in documentary form that
is
of high economic, high legal or regulatory consequence, or high historical
value.
Our focus is on the entire lifespan of electronic records and their
long-term
preservation and access for many decades, centuries, or perhaps
·permanently.

The US National Archives & Records Administration's
(http://www.archives.gov/)
National Historical Publications & Records Commission (NHPRC) and the
Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association
(http://www.censa.org/)
have jointly funded the Quality Electronic Records Practices (QERPs)
standard
specifications and guides. The first three QERPs Specifications and
Guidelines
are available for your input and feedback now.

The Quality Electronic Records Practices (QERPs) standards target audience
includes judges, attorneys, records managers and archivists, regulators,
quality
assurance and compliance staff, information technologists, vendors of
electronic
records products and services, and anyone else using electronic records.
These
standards will impact all these groups and your feedback on standards is
critically
important.

The (QERPs) foundation document, the Electronic Records Lifecycle
Specification
(ERLS), identifies and details all required design elements in an
organizational
program to capture and manage electronic records over their entire
lifespan. This
specification covers all organizational mandates, policies and procedures,
systems
and technologies for records creation, records management, and long-term
preservation
and access. Keeping in mind that all underlying technologies change quickly
over time,
and programmatic components such as change management, risk management,
and contingency planning change less frequently.

The second QERPs document available is the QERPs Validation Guide. It is
designed
to help any government or industrial organization validate and verify all
required elements
of a Quality Electronic Records Program and its technology components and
systems.

The Legal Acceptability Guide for Electronic Records (LAGER) Version 1,
available now
from CENSA (http://www.censa.org/order.nsf) is the most comprehensive Guide
available
for resolving legal and evidentiary issues on electronic records. The Guide
is very useful
because it provides brief, day-to-day roadmaps and additional details to
further program
design and validation, facilitate full admissibility and maximum assignment
of weight
and credibility to electronic evidence in litigation involving civil,
criminal, intellectual property,
regulatory compliance, and administrative cases. We are drawing on this
CENSA-funded
resource and many others to create the subsequent GERA-NHPRC standards.

GERA has started work on a completely different publication for the legal
and eRecords
communities, that is being "internationalized" to include laws,
regulations, case law,
and legal interpretations from Canada, Europe, Australia, the US and
elsewhere.
However, this "Litigators' Guide to Electronic Records and Electronic
Evidence" will be
greatly reduced in scope from LAGER V1.0, focusing primarily on legal
process, case law,
and legal analysis; we expect it to be finished in later in 2003. We need
your help now
to help ensure it fits this broad set of litigators' needs.

We need your feedback on these draft standards now.

Please register for free access at (
http://www.erecordscentral.org/gera_register.html ).

After registering, you will be granted access and given a named account.
You can then
log in to the "GERA Deliverables Library" and can download the latest draft
deliverables
in PDF format. We prefer electronic mark-ups, so please send your comments
kobi@censa.org, via e-mail, using the Adobe Acrobat "Comment" yellow sticky
notes
facility into the PDF file. We have also given you instructions how to make
the review,
feedback, and input easier. We will also accept manually marked-up pages
via fax
(781-935-3113) or postal mail. When corresponding, please give all contact
data: name,
title, organizational affiliation (if any), address, telephone and e-mail
so we can contact
you to provide or get full clarification if necessary. Phone calls are
welcome at
781-935-9600 x203.

The current comment period ends February 23th.

We have also given you a "Reviewer Survey" to help us improve the documents
and our work overall.

Please help us with your feedback to make these The Quality Electronic
Records Practices
the best possible standards and guides for your purposes.

We thank you for your assistance in making these standards the best that
they can be.  They
are comprehensive, "all most done" so now is the time to jump in and
provide your input.

About GERA

The Global Electronic Records Association (GERA) is a 501(c)6 research and
development
partnership between government and industry to develop "The Quality
Electronic Records
Practices" as globally useful standard specifications and guides for
government, industry,
nonprofit, academic, and other organizations that must keep electronic
records under
government regulations and to conduct good business practices.

Contact:

Kobi (Kris) Kobialka, MLS
Senior Researcher and Project Manager
Global Electronic Records Association
800 West Cummings Park, Suite 5400
Woburn, MA 01801
781-935-9600 ext. 203
781-935-3113 fax
kobi@censa.org ; e-mail

We apologize in advance for any duplications in mailing lists that may have
occured.

We must reach as many people as possible, because of the urgent need for
these standards.