[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

Nathaniel Smith njs@uclink4.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 5 23:53:45 PST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:10:12PM -0800, billy@damaged-world.net wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:33:38AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > TCPA does not seem to be particularly dangerous to freedom or
> > effective for mass-market DRM as long as (1) many computers have
> > different kernels, and (2) nobody but the computer's owner knows
> > bit-for-bit what's in that computer's kernel.
> > 1. When installing an OS or first booting a new computer,
> > people should run a program that changes the content of the
> > on-disk kernel image without affecting its functionality,
>
> 	When installing an OS or first booting a new computer people
> 	should apply most or all of the latest patches from their
> 	vendor. They should turn off all un-necessary services. They
> 	should install and use an email client that is not a massive
> 	fucking security hole.

Obviously, the next Windows virus to make the rounds should be
designed to alter the OS's kernel in a random non-destructive way, and
install security patches.

Not that I actually advocate such a thing.  But we all know there'll
be a next virus; it'd be amusing if the next one did the socially
conscious thing.  Denials of service are so passe.

(Of course, back in the real world, the public relations backlash of
having TCPA protest associated with a virus would probably suck.  Alas.)

-- Nathaniel

--
But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves.

This email may be read aloud.