[linux-elitists] defanging TCPA?

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Thu Feb 6 00:52:49 PST 2003

billy@damaged-world.net looked into the void, and said:

> There is no way to fight TCPA or DRM other than to *repeatedly*
> crack it to break it, and to demonstrate over and over that it
> doesn't solve the problems that it claims to solve (i.e.
> protecting the end user against viruses and the like) while
> doing things it claims not to (things like document revocation
> lists and selective access to data).

  Well, now I'm starting to get *really* depressed about the
  future of computing. Obviously DRM is a rotten idea, and TCPA
  is just the thin end of the wedge. Is there no future for
  general-purpose computers that can, y'know, do stuff?

  I don't violate copyrights much myself, but hypothetically if
  I bought a CD, I'd want the freedom to drag 'n' drop it into
  my iTunes playlist (if I had a Mac.) Does TCPA threaten this?

--
| Random  Oedipus | "No one can do to the Disney Corporation what |