[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Tue Feb 4 15:35:17 PST 2003

Nick Moffitt wrote:
> 	Likewise, I never shut down any of my laptops (thinkpads 600E,
> 600X, T22, and sony vaio).  Hell, I even have suspend-to-disk working
> on the vaio such that it hibernates when battery reaches critical.
>
> 	I can't say that I've ever seen a laptop *without* functioning
> APM.

Sure, but I've seen no end of laptops with crummy, half-hearted apm.
Like the vaios that have apm, that works about 95% of the time, hangs
the other 5%, and cannot suspend the laptop in time when the battry is
critically low. Or a toshiba that suspends ok but fails to come back up
20% of the time with a fun bios error ("call your serviceman"). Or the
ones where you have to shut pcmcia all the way off first or it will
freeze, or switch out of X first to a VC or you get screen corruption or
hangs. And the many that require sound be shut off before suspending, or
have sound issues on resume. Or those that lose track of the screen
brightness controls or even sound mixer settings on resume.

It's not clear to me that much of that is linux's fault; it's often
crummy PC hardware at fault. The same kernel that has 4 of the problems
I describe above on my vaios can suspend my lifebook with sound running
and pcmcia and builtin wireless going, and bring it back up without
missing a note in the .ogg file, perfectly, every time.

acpi is a bit of a different story of course. And has someone yet gotten
resume working with acpi under linux? After I got this laptop with its
excellent apm implementation, my motivation for playing with acpi
lessened a lot.

--
see shy jo